Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I just don't know

I think I have peaked 2 weeks too soon. Up until 2 weeks ago I was getting better and better every week and running with little pain. Since then I have had foot problems, hurt my back, and missed run after run. This past weekend my body felt good but the mind just didn't let me run the distance I wanted. I set out to run 10 miles and I was walking before I hit 3 miles. I completed a 5 mile run/walk and felt beaten. The good thing was that the body held up, I just could not shut my mind off.

Today was the first chance I had to run since this weekend and I wanted a good run. I didn't need a great run but I had to have a positive. I hit the parking desk because it was flat and gave me a good shot at a good run. I did 4 miles at a good pace and best of all I kept going when I wanted to stop. I'm on the right track to get the mind back before the big day. I think the body will be fine as long as I can stop thinking.

Random thoughts: Spirit of the Marathon was NOT a good movie. I was looking for some motivation and this was not it at all. My wife said I need to watch Run Fat Boy Run.

I got an email from the husband of my niece last week and I almost didn’t even open it because I thought it was junk mail and I never get mail from him. It turns out that he and a few others a walking to raise money for ALS. This is the disease that recently took the life of Kim, my sister in law. I’m sure the reason they choose the cause. I wish I could walk with them but it’s on the same day as the race. It pleases me that they are stepping up and I can’t wait to give. I will surely think of her and my dad on my run.

The email got me to thinking: When I started exercising it was for my health, then it was for a cause (Team in Training) and now it’s just for me. Just for me is not working. I know longer have a reason to run and I think that is what I’m missing. I don’t enjoy it anymore. It feels like a job and that is not right. My wife is going to kill me but I think I need to go back to Team in Training or find other ways to get me excited. I may look in to doing tris for ALS though this guys team:





If you have ever seen someone with ALS then you would know what a true effort he put in to finish.

2 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

OMG!!! I am balling my eyes out after watching that.

Thank you for sharing that. Amazing and my 2009 planning with have meaning!

aeep said...

I have been lurking your blog for awhile. I too did a triathlon with TNT (and it was awesome) and am now flying solo for my first marathon. I had to comment because I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

Getting runs in has gotten harder and harder just when I would like to be feeling more confident.

Your race is soon so I wanted to say good luck. Maybe take some of the TNT advice to stay positive and really rest during your taper. I know the mentors of the marathon team suggest dedicating one mile to a person toward the end, that is my strategy for getting through those last miles.

Best of luck
and
GO TEAM!