Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Good Reminder


Team in Training has what are called Honored Heroes. They are people that have cancer or are in remission. They are a reminder of why we train and more importantly raise money. Last night at swim practice we had a visit from 2 of our Honored Heroes. One gentleman has stage 4 non Hodgkin’s leukemia. For the folks who don't know, stage 4 is the last stage. The man is dying and his thankful words and upbeat look on life made me forget all about the race and put things back in to perspective. I joined TNT for many reasons but I think I lost sight of the bigger picture. The second Honored hero also spoke and told us how the research that TNT has sponsored has allowed him to life a better life. He was given only a few years to live and he is now in remission. He lives with cancer but he continues to live. He is a very good triathlete and has done quite a few Ironman races including Hawaii. He jumped in the pool and swam with the team. He rocks and just flew thought the water.

I'm NOW ready for this weekend because no matter what happens I (we) already complete the goal by raising money for the cause. The race is just the icing on the cake! Life is good!


Here is a picture of Sammy on my bike Pokey. GO TEAM!

5 comments:

Wes said...

The aches and pains we feel while running is nothing compared to what these folks have to go through, is it? You are a good man for supporting something you believe and keeping your eye on the big picture.

You should be doing SOME activity during taper week. Tonight, I'm doing a 30-40 minute run with 3x1 minute at HE. Just to keep the muscles tuned. Tomorrow, I ride for 30 minutes. Thursday, I'm taking a walk :-) Friday, I have a very short brick. Then, Saturday, I race.

I called down to Tampa and ordered up some glassy calm water for the swim, no winds for the bike, and cool temps for the run. No need to thank me! You are going to do well. You'll have to come back and show us all where the tri bug has bitten you after the race!

Have fun, and good luck!!!

Kellye Mills said...

That's really awesome that you got to experience a close connection with your cause! Good for you!

I'll keep you posted on St. Anthony plans!

Sarah said...

Man - did I EVER need to read that, especially right now going into this race. I really want to have a chance to meet you at the race! I need to get your race number and find a way to say hi!

Brian said...

It makes me think about my life and how lucky I am.

Race strong,

-Brian

Brian said...

SAM, how ya doing!

Come 'on man give us a post.