Monday, November 10, 2008

Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon

I finished the race in just under 4:50. Not what I was hoping for but at least I crossed the line. I ran the first half of the race in 2 hours so that should tell you how much I struggled on the 2nd half.

The ride up Friday night was just what you would expect. We left the house at about 4:30 on a rainy Friday in Atlanta. My butt was numb by the time we got to the hotel. I quickly checked in and headed to packet pickup. I was happy to get a shirt and hat in my packet and I seriously thought that I could just go home and people would never be the wiser.

Race morning was cold. I bundled up and headed out. By start time it was a little warmer but I was glad to have my mittens. As I waited for the start I put on my music and had to laugh when Vanilla Ice came on because all I could think of was a dancing gorilla. In a blog this past week someone danced to this dressed in a gorilla suit . It put my in a good frame of mind to start. I thank you.

The gun went off and I was off. It was a little crowded for the first mile or two and then I settled in to a comfortable pace. Things were going good. I planned on drinking water at ever station (about 2 miles) and eating a gu about every 45 minutes. I stopped to duck behind a tree at about mile 5 and lost a mitten. Darn! I tossed the other one in a pile of clothes others had discarded. If you ever want running gear just clean up after a marathon because people were getting rid of all kinds of shirts and such.

After another woods pit stop, I hit the halfway mark at about 2 hours and change. Between the walk at the start and my pit stops in the woods I figured I was right on pace. I was picking up time on ever mile and feeling good. My back was fine, my legs were good and the music that I picked out was perfect. The course was super also. In the early morning you could almost imagine the battle with the cannons and the fog rising off the fields. The hills were small and most of the run felt like you were running through the woods. Just NICE!

I crossed over mile 14 or 15 and my legs started cramping. I tried to keep running and I almost feel over because the cramp in my calf made me toes point down. I tried to stretch and started running again. I made it about another 100 yards and again almost feel over. I ran as far as I could and would then have to walk. I noticed something when I walked, I walk very slow. I could see others walking and they would pull away quickly. The mile marker signs seemed to be getting further and further apart. I ran as much as I could and finally got passed by a lady that had to be 80. That sucked so I tried to run more. I then got passed by the 4:30 pace runner and I ran with him for about a mile until my leg locked up. It sucked because my mind was still in this thing and I was not feeling real bad except the cramp. I started taking in Gatorade hoping it would help. Nope. I ran as much as possible until I got to 25 miles. At this point the some lady that was power walking passed me. I just could not let that happen I was determined to beat her and finish under 5 hours. I ran and walked and just stayed in front of this lady. It was like one of those Friday the 13th movies where the murder always keeps up. I hit the 26 mile marker and asked God to let me finish running. It was all downhill and I ran up to about 10 yard from the finish and I locked up. Some guy told me to suck it up so I did and hobbled to the end. I’m sure my picture will show the pain.

After the race they gave me my framed race number and took my picture. I thought that this would be a good one until I later realized ho much salt was one my face. It was caked on bad.

I have been sitting and eating ever sine the race ended and feel like I may be walking normal in a few more days. I’m proud that I finished but I could have done so much better. Maybe next year, maybe not!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, It is great you ran the marathon. Congrats for not succumbing to your demon who suggested going home with the t-shirt. Finishing a marathon is a great accomplishment.

But, obviously, you are not happy with the time or the cramps. What are you going to do now? Are you going to do another marathon or are you going to choose a new goal?

I was out there with you. My first marathon as well. I did not fight cramps and my time was good, but I am struggling with the same question.

John in Cartersville

Kevin said...

Congratulations on finishing your first marathon.

You pushed through the pain and finished it. Have you been having calf problems? If not, you may want to look at how much electrolytes you are taking and experiment with taking some form of electrolyte supplement during longer races. Some gel's might have enough, but most dont

An Athlete In Training said...

Great job on getting out there and finishing - that's more than what 99.999% of the population can say they have done. I hear the first one isn't about your time, it's just getting across the line - the next ones you can worry about what time you have.

Either way, great job again.

Wes said...

Sam!! Marathoner!! :-) Way to go, dude! That sounds distinctly like my first marathon. I don't know what I've done, but I am SO grateful that cramps have been a thing of the past for me. But you stuck it out, drilled it, and are evidently determined to have another go at it. Good for you!! It gets easier and better every time.

Unknown said...

Great job Sam! Good running!

R