Thursday, May 29, 2008

Because I Can

I think I have found a good reason to start training again. A fire inside. I am going to do because others can’t.

I have so many people in my life that cannot run, swim, or bike any distance. I have family members that are in wheelchairs, a brother with an artificial leg, and a few battling cancer. But today it hit me like a ton of bricks as I sat looking at my running shoes. I have an x-sister-in law that has Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Even though she is no longer married to my brother I consider her a sister. She was married to him for at least 20 years (much more I’m sure) and I cannot think back to a time that I did not know her. I’m sad to say that I don’t see her much anymore but made the trip out to see her a few weeks back because she is not doing well. This disease has taken away all ability to move and she struggled to speak any words. To say even one word would take a great effort and she had to repeat herself because I could not understand. I’ve thought about her often since my visit, I wish I could do something.

I heard from my niece last night that they think she will pass soon and I thank God for that as does she. I know she is headed to a better place. As the thought of her raced through my mind today I realized that so many people would give anything to run, heck even walk. So many people would love to be able to stand up out of that wheel chair, or get out of that hospital bed and move under their own power. I can run! I’m healthy and I can run (sound like Forest Gump).

Do I (we) not owe it to the people who can’t to not waste the simple things in life? I have seen a lot of challenges out on the blog so here is another: Get up and run for someone who can't. Today I ran for Kim.

Sorry to be so gloomy.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

That isnt gloomy at all. What a better reason to train then because you can. Train to be an inspiration to those who cant. Train because you dont know when the day may come when you no longer can. Carpe Diem

Marcy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your SIL. My MIL has PLS (it is sort of similar to ALS, but she will not die from it. It mostly just affects the arms and legs) It's very hard to see someone who used to be so active wear down so quickly. ITA with Kevin though, it's a wonderful reason to train :-)