Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Life goes on

OK. My mind is starting to get right. I just going to come out and say it: “I have Will Smith on the MP3 and I don’t care who knows it!” His songs make me run happy. In the last couple of days I have tested the waters to see just how far I’ve slipped in my fitness. I went for a short bike ride this weekend and swam last night. The bike seemed almost like starting over and the swim was just weak. But, I’m back!

The biggest job I have in life is being a good father to my son. When he was young it was easy, just keep him safe and healthy. As he has grown I have tried to be a good role model for him and I fear he has become too much like me in the wrong areas. How do you teach good habits without the bad? They watch so close and you don’t get to choose what they remember. Don’t get me wrong, this boy is great and very well adjusted. He just has some lazy habits and he got them from me. I have a habit of procrastinating before I start a chore and then I go all out until the job is done. When I work I work hard but it sometime takes a little bit to get going. My son takes a while to get going and then drags the job out forever. He’ll find any reason to stop and a 1 hour job takes all day for him to complete. We’ll be working on changing these habits this summer.

I just signed Sammy up for a kid’s tri that is next weekend. I struggled with the decision because I don’t want to force a sport on him and I sometimes feel like he would do anything to make me happy. I asked him if he wanted to race and had to feel him out to see if he was doing it for me. He did this race last year with a fever (just to make me happy) and told me he wanted to do it again to see how much better he could do this time. I was kind of hoping he would say that he didn’t want to do the race so that I could sign up for something.

4 comments:

Wes said...

Kids definitely have their own interests. It takes a long time, in the case of my kids, their twenties, for them to come around from "its all about me" to its about us.

In my mind, the most important thing is to provide the type of safe nurturing environment so a child can find their own path.

Wha? You haven't registered for something new yet? Total slacker!!! ;-)

Kevin said...

Good to hear you are back to training. Now you just need to pick a race to train for.

Kellye Mills said...

Sam, it’s really very normal after you finish an A race to find your self a little lost and confused as to where to go from here. But I’m glad to hear that you’re getting back in the groove of things. As far as the little version goes… I wouldn’t worry too much about him being lazy. I think if you said your twelve year old son wasn’t, THEN I’d be worried! :) Maybe give him a list of races for the rest of the year and tell him if he’s interested to let you know. And if he doesn’t want to do any, well that’s ok too. If he’s so into pleasing you, it would probably be good for him to learn to make decisions based on what HE wants to do. That’s a lesson a lot of us are still figuring out now as adults! :)

Brian said...

Sam,

Whats the name and web site that Sammy is going to do?