Friday, March 7, 2008

Glory Days


Atlanta weather sucks, one day it’s perfect and the next it looks like the end of the world is coming. I got out during lunch yesterday and ran 3 miles. I know I need to ramp up the distance but it’s hard to run any further at lunch. I’ve been running in the parking deck (I'll post a picture soon) at work for a while now but spoke to a coworker about a few runs that he does from the office that I will begin trying. The parking deck is still a good back up because it’s always dry and I know the distance per lap. It just gets old seeing the same thing lap after lap (cars) and it’s dark and gloomy. I look forward to a change of scenery.

I’ve been trying to ride the bike trainer every night for the last couple of weeks. It’s amazing how much harder it is to ride on the trainer for the same amount of time that you would ride on the street. I ride 30 minutes on the trainer and I’m dripping sweat. I think I’m getting stronger on the bike but only get the change to get out on the street on the weekend.

Life is still getting in the way of training. How do these folks train for an Ironman distance race? I struggle to get in the short runs, swims, and bike rides that I need to do an Olympic distance triathlon. I don’t know if I would have a wife if I trained the time you need to train for an Ironman; the problem is I can’t get it out of my head. The challenge looms in the back of my mind. It hangs out in the same place that my old glory day’s stories live (son, let me tell you about the time I scored 4 touchdowns in 1 game for Polk High). Don’t tell my wife but I’m starting to build a plan for the next 2 years of the races I want to train for and run. I need a few more stories to tell and something to make my kid proud of his Pop.

No comments: